(as of June 1999)
830.260 Muffling devices.
The exhaust of every internal combustion engine used on any motorboat shall be effectively muffled by equipment so constructed and used as to muffle or suppress the noise of the exhaust in a reasonable manner. The use of cut-outs or open exhaust stacks is prohibited, except:
(1) On motorboats competing in a regatta, race or trial for speed records authorized as provided in ORS 830.375.
(2) On racing motorboats while the boat or equipment is being tried or tested in compliance with ORS 830.350
(1) The exhaust of every internal combustion engine used on any motorboat shall be effectively muffled at all times in accordance with ORS 830.260. The term "effectively muffled" shall mean the exhaust system contains a mechanical device or appliance, designed, constructed and so used as to reduce the exhaust noise emissions of a motorboat below the maximum noise levels established in section (2) of this rule. Such device or appliance must be integral to the motorboats' exhaust system. Water muffling systems which meet this standard are those which incorporate a marine exhaust manifold.
(2) No person shall operate a motorboat on the waters of this state that exceeds a noise level as follows:
(a) For engines manufactured before January 1, 1993, a maximum noise level of 90 dBA when subjected to a stationary test as prescribed by SW J-2005;
(b) For engines manufactured after January 1, 1993, a maximum noise level of 88 dBA when subjected to a stationary test as prescribed by SW J-2005.
(3) This regulation shall not apply to motor-boats competing, under a permit issued by the State Marine Board pursuant to ORS 830.375 or a United States Coast Guard permit, in a regatta, a boat race, or while on official trials for speed records during the time and in a designated area authorized by the permit; and those boats testing in areas designated by the State Marine Board pursuant to ORS 830.350.
[Publications: The publication(s) referred to or incorporated by reference in this rule are available from the Marine Board.]
Stat. Auth.: ORS 830.110, 830.250 & 830.260
Stats. implemented: ORS 830.260
Hist: MB 51, f. 5-3-73. ef. 5-l 5-73; MB 2-1980, f. 4-23.80. ef. 5.1-80: MB 9-1981, f. & ef, 11-l6-81; MB l4-1992, f. & cert. ef. 11-24-92